Robert DaviesHead of Fire & Life Safety
WSP Middle East
Robert has over 16 years' experience in the field of fire safety engineering, 10 of which have been in the Middle East. Since graduating from the Fire Safety Degree course at the University of Central Lancashire he has undertaken a variety of roles within the Fire Safety Industry. He started his career with AkerKvaener, Portsmouth carrying out fire protection system designs for Petro-Chemical and Pharmaceutical facilities before moving to International Fire Consultants Limited (IFC), High Wycombe. Whilst working for IFC he gained extensive experience in managing and witnessing Fire Resistance Tests, undertaking Fire Risk Assessments and preparing Fire Safety Strategies and Fire Engineering Solutions for a variety of building types. During this period in his career he completed the Master’s Degree course in Fire Safety Engineering at the University of Ulster.
In 2007 Robert joined Buro Happold, Dubai to establish their Fire Engineering team in the Middle East. During his time with Buro Happold he worked on multiple, large mixed use / high rise developments. In 2009 he was awarded Chartered Engineer status with the Institution of Fire Engineers (IFE) and qualified as a Certified Fire Protection Specialists (CFPS) through the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). At the end of 2009 Robert moved to Riyadh and joined the Arriyadh Development Authority as their fire safety advisor. Robert was responsible for developing fire safety management policies and procedures for their historical building stock.
In 2010 Robert returned to the UAE and joined WSP. In this role, as well as undertaking design work and leading projects as a Project Director, Robert has been instrumental in growing and developing the team from 4 to 30 Fire engineers and creating a Global team of 250 Fire engineers. His role includes the day to day management of the team, financial reporting and business development.Key Achievements
- Expertise in Fire Engineering Solutions, Fire Safety Strategies, Liaison with Local Authorities, Fire Risk Assessments, Fire Safety Management, Fire Testing
- Extensive experience working as a fire consultant on large mixed use / high rise developments and industrial projects
- 10+ years of experience of living & working in various countries within the Middle East region and liaising with local authorities
- Chartered Fire Engineer with the Engineering Council UK
- Certified Fire Protection Specialist by NFPA